Tuesday 24 April 2007

So angry I may scream . . . . . . !

Ok, so my car is sitting outside my house when some chav (I'm assuming!) keys it all down the passenger side.

That's pretty annoying.

I call my insurance people who are very nice, tell me it will all get sorted and I'm very happy.

Then they tell me just before I put down the phone "as you are 21 there's an additional excess of . . . . "
"WAIT!" I shout, "actually I'm 22."
"It doesn't matter, from 21-25 you have to pay an additional excess of £250"
"So you've doubled the amount that I have to pay for being the victim of a crime because I'm young." (Well, I didn't really say that bit - but I was thinking it very loudly.)

I understand that being young is a bitch insurance-wise, and maybe (maybe) if I'd crashed my car into a tree whilst speeding I wouldn't have minded. But I'm being charged for being young. I thought the government was taking action against ageism?

Lets face it - as a graduate I'm already £10,000+ in debt. I've got a job which has (just) pushed me over the threshold for starting to pay that back. I'm hardly rolling in the Benjamins! And a £500 quid unexpected payment is hardly a small amount.

Is it really any wonder that people live with their parents for longer?

1 comment:

Spored_to_Death said...

I don't know if its comforting or disturbing to know that insurance companies around the world work exactly the same way... by taking your money and then telling you to take a hike when you need help. Especially when you're not at fault.

Would it have been cheaper to have it fixed yourself?